The medical faculty of Yerevan State University was founded in 1920, gave first graduates in 1927. In 1930 the medical faculty was reorganized as an independent Yerevan State Medical Institute. In 1980 it received highest award for training highly qualified specialists and for its great contribution in the field of public health. In 1995 the Institute was reformed into the University and renamed as Yerevan State Medical University after Mkhitar Heratsi. Mkhitar Heratsi – Armenian the Great Master of Medicine played the same role for us as Hippocrates for Greeks, Galen for Romans, Ibn Sina for Arabs.